Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

"Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." - MARCEL PROUST
Oftentimes on the day-to-day, I get lost with my frustrations and stressors and tend to focus too much on the little, unimportant details. But every once in a while when things seem to be so awful, I take a step back and laugh a little, reminding myself that my "awful" days are someone else's wildest dreams. It's comforting that I'm able to humbly look at what I have and realize how blessed I am - I doubt other people do this enough, if at all. In light of the recent holiday (and some stressful days I've had), I thought it would be good timing to think about all I am truly grateful for.
  • My health, my sanity
  • My inexplicably amazing family - my support system - and my parents (and their health and sanity)
  • My boyfriend, whom I love with all my heart and who is so good to me
  • My irreplaceable best friends
  • The caring, strong, smart, funny, incredible people in my life
  • The nearly unlimited resources available to me:
    • Hot showers, running water, heat and air conditioning, warm blankets, cozy beds, internet, cell phones, grocery stores, food, gas, electricity, air travel, libraries, education, community organizations, fitness centers, hospitals, computers, clothes, shoes, lodging, television, etc.
  • That I don't have to fear gun fire, war, robbers, cartels, etc. every time I leave my house - that I am able to walk around my neighborhood alone (even at night) without fear
  • My education and the opportunities I've had in my life
  • That I graduated college debt-free
  • That I've been able to travel and see other parts of the world
  • That I have two jobs and don't have to live paycheck to paycheck
  • My working vehicle that I trust in any weather
  • That I am in great shape and can do nearly any activity I challenge myself to
  • That I am (basically) a normal person and can interact in a social setting
  • That I have people who love me for me (because on the inside I am sooo weird)
  • That I have learned from my mistakes and am growing every day
  • That my dad knows everything there is to know about money and I will never have to be in the dark in regards to my finances
  • That I was able to dance competitively while I was growing up - it instilled a lifelong passion in me
  • That I was able to study abroad
  • That I can speak two languages and experience so much more because of it
  • That I have common sense and a sense of humor
  • That I live in a nice house
I know the list could be 1000 times bigger, but for time's sake I will stop here. I encourage all of you to step back and think about what you are truly thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment