Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Futuristic thinking

"The virtue lies in the struggle, not in the prize." - RICHARD MONCKTON MILNES

As much as I know this is true, oftentimes I worry about my future. Where will I end up? What will I become? Will I choose the right paths? Will I get to accomplish this or see that? This futuristic thinking can be considered a gift or a curse. This mindset helps me goal set, save money, plan my schedule, etc., but it also causes me to live outside the moment, and sometimes, to not realize my blessings.

I'm making it a point to live in the moment more in my life. When I find myself flustered at work, I will relax and be thankful that I at least have a job. When I am stuck in traffic, I'll be grateful for owning a car and for my absolutely amazing parents who helped make that possible.

So the next time I feel anxiety over my undetermined future path, I will remind myself of another quote that really hits home: "Hablan mucho de la belleza de la certidumbre como si ignorasen la belleza sutil de la duda. Creer es muy monótono; la duda es apasionante." (Translation: "They talk a lot about the beauty of certainty as if they had forgotten the subtle beauty of doubt. Believing is monotonous; doubt is fascinating.")

At the end of my life, however long that may be, I want to look back and be proud of the journeys I conquered, of the struggles I road out, of my persistence to accomplish my dreams. And although I'm sure I will eventually figure out where I'm headed, I'm realizing that the things I will remember most are the rocks in the road along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment