Wednesday, September 14, 2011

MDAS... "Don't sweat the small stuff"

I spoke with my dad a couple days ago about my career. I expressed concerns to him about if things will work out, what I should do in specific situations, what to think about other's actions, and (shock) he had some great advice for me.

He said "don't sweat the small stuff" - a saying he's burned into my brain since I was young, yet I always seem to forget about it. For most situations, this is advice is not only applicable, but the best course of action. After I finished getting flustered, I stepped back and applied his advice to to the questions I asked.

  • Will things work out?
    • Without a doubt. Life is full of choices - do I get the red sweater or the green one? This job or that? Many people tend to choose left, and later wonder what would have happened had they veered right. Worrying about whether or not you made the correct choice can drive a person mad. You've already chosen your path, so there's nothing you can do now. All you can do is focus on what is within your control - your attitude, work ethic, persistence, etc. - and work those things in your favor. 
  • What should I do in specific situations?
    • Oftentimes at work instances arise that are out of your hands so you may not know how to react. Not all the time, but usually, these situations are ones that you should let fall by the wayside. Sweating the small stuff (this instance), is only going to cause you more problems, trouble and headaches. But if you just let it go, you aren't even likely to remember in a few weeks.
  • What should I think/do about other's actions?
    • Nothing. You can form your opinion about that person and their actions and leave it at that. Other people in the workplace making bad choices are none of your concern (for the most part). If they feel like getting on facebook for three hours out of their day, that's between them and their boss, so let them both deal with it. Saying something will cause you to look like a tattle-tale, and nobody wants to play that role in the workplace.
So the next time you feel your blood pressure rising, remember not to sweat the small stuff. You can tell the small stuff from the not-so-small stuff by asking yourself, "Is this going to matter in five years?"

No comments:

Post a Comment